Monday, November 10, 2008

Response to Comment

This is a response to a comment I received from my third post on the first stanza:

The first stanza: 
"How does it feel to know you're everything I need
The butterflies in my stomach
they could bring me to my knees
How does it feel to know you're everything I want
I've got a hard time saying this
so I'll sing it in a song"


the Comment: "don't you think that his song is sort of contradicting since he can't tell the person he loves how he really feels yet he is able to gush his deepest darkest feelings to the public for interpretation in a song?"


That does make sense to see that way that the singer/narrator is making a contradiction.  But I don't see Nick Thomas (the singer/songwriter of the Spill Canvas) doing that. In a way it would decrease the 'credibility' in the rest of his lyrics.  

I think the word 'hard' is where the difference in opinion comes from.  You see it as the lack of capability and maybe desire.  What he is really trying to say is that he's nervous and probably anxious to actually express himself.  The lyrics as I see it don't express apprehension or reluctance, he just doesn't know how to tell her.  So that is when he decides that song is the best source of communication to 'gush' his feelings.  Because to him song is best because it is the easiest way to do so.  If he was really so shy and timid about his thoughts I don't think this song would even exist.






2 comments:

Brandon said...

I also think that any song has a certain anonymity to it. The writer may "gush" his feelings to the world because no one really knows who he is talking about, expect the writer. It may be an easier method of communication because no one will know who is being spoke of.

Megzy said...

i agree with your stance. It does make the artist seem like a character who is scared to express his feelings and doing so to the world seems like he might want to tell her how he feels in a big way. I also agree with Brandon, in which singing about it is an easier way to communicate how he feels