Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Say Goodbye

"Pack your things we can leave today
pack your things we can leave today
Say our goodbyes and get on the train
Say goodbye
Just you and I in the sweet unknown
We can just call each other our home."


I see this stanza as being figurative and metaphorical rather then a literal sense of running away.  I think he means "leaving" and "saying goodbye" to all the troubles and tribulations and every other obstacle in their lives.  It's his way of saying not to dwell and to leave the past in the past.  The train is metaphorical for going forward towards the future.  The "sweet unknown" is two things, first it is the journey that their lives will take, the second is the destination, in other words, wherever life takes them.  Finally, the last line in this stanza he says they'll "just call each other home".  Which  as the old saying goes, "home is where the heart is," and he has devoted his heart entirely to her.  He is saying that their comfort, reciprocated love, and happiness will come from one another.

2 comments:

Megzy said...

Your analysis is actually very in depth; It makes a lot of sense the way you explained the hidden meaning of the train and leaving. I would have to agree after reading your side of what the song means. I would have just thought of it as actual running away. You have a great point, and i neer ould have looked past the normal lyrics.

Wiedbrauk said...

"home is where the heart is" yes ... but what about "calling me home" as the phrase this is morphing out of? What would that mean? "Calling me home" is often used with places and with death ('the lord callin me home') ... and probably others. Particularly with cities "calling me home" the phrase is very popular with folk singers.